n the professional horticulture, the customer/grower is asking for an ideal substrate….
- Good physical characteristics, roots need water, air and fertilizer, the substrate is essential;
- Good drainage, if the substrate does not drain, the result will be a lack of air and finally suffering plants;
- Good chemical characteristics, for the production of good quality, all elements should be available in the right relation;
- A stable substrate, to be sure that no surprises occur after some months;
- A uniform product, so that every culture can be the same and the grower does not have to change his way of irrigation etc.
To produce a safe substrate, you will need good raw materials and also you will need to know all characteristics of your raw materials.